Baqai College of Veterinary Sciences (BCVS), founded by the Baqai Foundation is the first of its kind in the Private Sector location in the metropolis of Karachi. The campus is located near the Chota gate of poultry estate on Gadap Road some 5 kilometers from Baqai Medical University. It is about 15-20 minutes drive on Super Highway from the Civic Center, Karachi and about 5 minutes drive from main campus of Baqai Medical University.
BCVS is situated in most serene, picturesque and pollution free environment, away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis of Karachi. It thus enjoys the unique environment contusive for academic pursuits in beautiful gardens, orchards, and picnic sports and poultry estate. The building of the college is properly designed to suite the complex and multiple requirements of a teaching and research institution in the livestock and poultry sector. Spacious adjacent plots are in process of being developed into indoor and outdoor clinics, disease diagnostic laboratory experimental livestock and poultry farms and other facilities associated with teaching and research and a Veterinary Clinical Complex.
Teaching Department :
- Basic Sciences.
a) Anatomy and Histology
b) Physiology and Biochemistry.
- Livestock and Poultry Management.
a) Livestock Management.
b) Poultry Husbandry.
c) Animal Breeding and Genetics.
d) Livestock Product Technologies.
- Preclinical Studies.
a) Pharmacology and Toxicology.
- Clinical Studies.
c) Animal Reproduction
d) Public Health
- Continued Veterinary Education (CVE) and Extension.
a) CVE and extension
b) Economics of Production and Marketing of farm products.
c) Rural Sociology
- Baqai Livestock and Poultry Experimental Stations.
- Baqai Veterinary Clinical Complex.
Study Programmes :
- DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine): This is five year full time graduate program spread over 10 semesters (9 semesters course work and one semester for internship). It is a composite degree imparting academic and applied knowledge in various domains of Veterinary and Animal Husbandry
- M.Sc (Hons) this is two year (4 semesters) full time program of 16 credit hours for major course, 8 credit hours for minor course and thesis by research. It deals with course in relevant disciplines and a research project for thesis. M.Sc (Hons) is equated to M.Phil. M.Sc. (Hons) and Ph.O programs are offered in following disciplines:
|Veterinary Anatomy|| ||Physiology|
|Pharmacology|| || Microbiology|
|Animal Reproduction|| ||Livestock Management|
|Livestock Marketing|| ||Livestock Extension|
|Livestock Economics|| ||Livestock Breeding & Genetics|
|Animal Nutrition|| ||Poultry Nutrition|
|Poultry Husbandry|| ||Poultry Pathology|
|Poultry Marketing|| || |
- Ph.D. This is a full time 3-4 years (6-8 semesters) after M.Sc. (Hons.) or M.Phil, respectively. It includes a course work of 24 Credit hours and a thesis based on research. The core curriculum covers advanced level courses in chosen disciplines of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- Condensed DVM Program is designed for B.Sc. (A.H) graduates consisting of course work of three semesters.
- Diploma in Poutry Sciences: This I a full time program of one year.
- Training programs for farmers in applied production technology, (Meat, Milk and Dairy Products, Egg and Chicken meat, fish, etc).
- Short Courses of different duration specific to Vaccination, Artificial Insemination, fish farming, Menageries and Pet birds and animals Poultry and Dairying etc. are offered from time to time.
Admission Requirments :
- DVM: Candidates who have passed HSC (Intermediate) Examination from any Board of intermediate or Secondary Education (Premedical) in Pakistan or an Equivalent Examination or B.Sc. with Botany, Zoology, Physics or Chemistry or any two of the subjects, are eligible to seek admission.
- M.Sc (Hons) DVM, B.Sc. (A.H), B.V.Sc. B.Sc. (A.H.) or equivalent qualification in relevant subject from recognized university.
- Ph.D Candidates who possess M.Sc. (Hons). Or M.Sc. or M.Phil or an equivalent qualification in relevant subject from a recognized university.
Semester Schedsule :
The academic year consists of two semesters. The duration of semester for teaching is 16 weeks and 2 weeks for examination. The first semester starts with new admission after the announcement of results of intermediate premedical or equivalent qualification by the Boards.
- 1st Semester: August, December
- 2nd Semester: January, May
Vacations: mid of May end of June
Since Veterinary is a profession with skill, a DVM Degree Veterinary Doctor can serve: Public and Private Sector, Pakistan Army. Overseas Employment, Self Employment (Private Veterinary practice, Poultry, Livestock and Dairy farming). Commercial Production of mutton, beef, chicken meat, Eggs, dairy Products. Menageries (Zoo, Animal/Safari Parks) Abattoirs meat inspectors, Local councils, Pharmaceutical industry Animal and Poultry Feeds and Allied Industries. Diagnostic and research laboratories, Vaccine production, Teaching & Research institutes and Banks ADBP, Fisheries and Wild Life etc.
The College has convenient transport facility for students and staff from various points in the city and from the main gate of Baqai Medical University. The college has well equipped laboratories, class rooms and library, canteen etc. The College has five teaching cum research departments with laboratories in all disciplines of Veterinary and Animal Sciences and a reputed faculty. Play ground for Cricket, Football, Hockey and Indoor games.
The faculty consists of highly qualified teachers having competence in all subject matter areas of the curriculum as well as effective teaching skills. Part time faculty residents and post graduates students also supplement the teaching efforts of full time faculty.
Where and how to apply ?
College Prospectus, including application from, can be had on payment of Rs. 500/- in cash from: Baqai Hospital Nazimabad, Karachi, 6618396-98 & 6618082-85. Admission Cell, Baqai Medical University, Gadap, Road Super Highway Karachi, 4507651 & 6351011. Baqai College of Veterinary Sciences, Karachi, P: 021-4410258, Ext. 208. Mob: 0300-2112684.
Baqai Cadet College address for correspondence, etc.
Request through mail for application package with Demand draft/pay order (Rs.600/-) in favor of Baqai College of Veterinary Sciences, Near Toll Plaza, Gadap Road Karachi.
Baqai Medical University
51-Deh Tor, Toll Plaza, Super Highway, Gadap Road.
P.O.Box. 2407. Karachi,-18. Pakistan
For further details please contact:
Principal, Baqai College of Veterinary Sciences.
P.O.BOX. No. 2407
Phone No 021-34410258, Ext.208, 34410322
Mob. No. 0300-2112684.